Friday, August 26, 2011

Sew Simple, Sew Elegant


In keeping with my theme today of new ways to reuse old possessions, I figured I would also share with you my newest piece of found-object jewelery.  Yesterday I happened to stumble upon a beautiful pair of antique sewing scissors... the kind that are super tiny and used to cut the threads in a seam... Now, I assume that this could work with any kind of small sewing scissor as long as you have a matching necklace.  If you don't have a pair, I bet your mom or grandma, or someone you know, has a pair somewhere that they haven't used for years that they might donate to your fashion cause.

I know that this "idea" has already been done several times over and was seen on runways, fashion blogs & magazines etc. but the difference is, this one you don't have to BUY.  Its simple to just string a necklace cord between the handle of the scissors and rock it.  Plus, by using a found/gifted item, you are wearing a piece of history, something that has been used to create many beautiful things by the hands of someone wiser, older, and who you may know and love!  Plus, its functional, not just a metal cast of the real thing...  I can't tell you how many times I have needed a little pair of scissors to cut that obnoxious thread hanging from the hem of my skirt!!



No comments:

Post a Comment