Saturday, August 27, 2011

From a Little Studio to a Big Gallery


 Last evening was the opening of the most recent art exhibition my work has been in!  "Art at the X" is a highly selective international juried art show at Xavier University (Cincinnati).  If you happen to be in the area, you can stop by the gallery to see the show, Monday-Friday from 10-4pm.  Its worth the hike.  The show this year features mostly litho, etching, and wood block print artists however, some photographers and painters were thrown into the mix...  I am proud to say that my work was by far the farthest away from the general style of the artists represented!  Meaning, I was still accepted into the show even though my work isn't what seems to be the taste of the Juror.


My favorite artist in the show was Kathleen Ristinen, a woodblock printer from Athens, OH.   From what I can gather, she creates very intricately carved single tone (black & white) wood block prints based off of old photographs.  The effect is a fantastic mixture of early American Propaganda art and a contemporary love for all things vintage, especially photographs.  I was not able to find much work of hers online to share with you, but, here are a two small images that I was able to glean:



I am in love.  I hope you can make it to the show to see her amazing work, I couldn't stop looking at it.

3 comments:

  1. I saw some awesome bull/ox paintings at Neons in Cincinnati.. they wouldn't happen to be yours would they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why yes those would be mine! I just moved them (temporarily) to the Hanke Building a couple doors up for the MPMF Vitamin Water stage... but they should be back at Neon's in a couple weeks. Thanks for noticing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well they are awesome! They were the conversation of the night :)

    ReplyDelete