Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's What I Do

I have been freelancing as an Interior Decorator and Personal Assistant for several years now but rarely do I talk about my job with my friends!  I guess it might be because I am interested in other things (like my art) and am always looking for more opportunities... but I thought that I should share with everyone what it is exactly that I do everyday!!



So lets start from the beginning.  I start with a house (a house my client has purchased) and I analyze all of the aesthetic work that needs to be done for it to be sold again at move-in-ready market value.  THEN I start!  I select/shop for all lighting fixtures, flooring, counter tops, cabinets, bathroom fixtures, interior/exterior wall color, etc.  Clearly this house needed A LOT of work!!








Once I've collected all of the materials, I typically begin by painting the wood trim and then all of the walls, and anything else that needs to be painted.  The appliances/fixtures/lighting/flooring is all installed by a well trained handyman, which I am not... yet (but it is on my bucket list)!

Once all of the cosmetic and handy work has been finished... then I decorate it!  My client is a Real Estate agent specializing in buying and remodeling homes and thus has an inventory of furniture and staging items.  Through the years I have also been responsible for shopping and collecting most of the pieces we decorate with, but in every house, it has been a challenge to reinterpret the same items to describe very different homes.  Once everything is perfect, I photograph the home and put it on the market for sale/rent.  This particular home happens to be in Northside just down the hill from The Comet!  Here is the finished home!  I just wrapped up today!!






If you happen to be looking for an ADORABLE home to rent, with an awesome backyard... you MIGHT like this one, it has won my heart over!

Also, see that coffee table in the livingroom?  I designed it. Yes, that is right, I designed and had it built.  It's the first piece of furniture I've made, and I'm proud of it!  Its an old casement window as the class top and a wood leg/frame shape that I designed, it was manufactured by a cabinet maker and is one of a kind... I'll have a better picture later.


No comments:

Post a Comment